August 25, 2010

Pterygium and Pinguecula

This is funny, mostly I found out about my disease in August, either early or end of August. I discovered my fibroadenoma on early August 1998, my endometriosis also in early August 2005, pterygium or pinguecula in end of August 2010.

Actually in 2005, I got a problem with my sight, it became blur. I went to an ophthalmologist and he said there was an injury in my cornea. A year later, I went back to the same doctor because my eyes were hurt again. He diagnosed there was something like cyst in my right eyes. A little benign or lump on the white area of my eyes.

Last week, suddenly my eyes hurt, not red but painful. I gave a regular eye drop but it didn't help. On Monday I saw for the very first time, there is another small benign under the first benign. I went to an eye clinic, the doctor said it can be remove only by surgery but the surgery will only be perform if the benign disturb the cornea. She ordered me to wear glasses all the time to prevent it from going bigger. The wind, sunshine, and sand/dust will trigger the growth.

What is pterygium and pinguecula?

A pterygium is a fleshy growth that invades the cornea (the clear front window of the eye). It is an abnormal process in which the conjunctiva (a membrane that covers the white of the eye) grows into the cornea.

A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the white of the eye, most often on the side closest to the nose. It is not a tumor but an alteration of normal tissue resulting in a deposit of protein and fat. Unlike a pterygium, a pinguecula does not actually grow onto the cornea. A pinguecula may also be a response to chronic eye irritation or sunlight.

For further information of pterygium and pinguecula can be search on this website below:

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/392/main.html
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1192527-overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygium

No comments:

Post a Comment