December 18, 2014

Health: Me and My Sensitive Teeth

"Sensitive teeth is often detected when we eat or drink something hot, cold, sweet, or sour. The pain can be sharp and sudden and can shoot deep into the nerve endings of your tooth."

I have sensitive teeth, a very bad one. Lately when I drink even normal room temperature water, it can cause me so much pain. I already used sensitive toothpaste but it didn't help. The pain gets worse day by day, so I went to my dentist.

What cause sensitive teeth?
"You get sensitive teeth when your gums pull back and expose the surface beneath, called the dentin. This soft layer makes up the inner part and roots, which have thousands of tiny tubes that lead to the tooth's nerve center (the pulp). These channels allow the trigger -- for example, the hot, cold, or sweet food -- to reach the nerve in your tooth, which results in the pain you feel."

Teeth Structure

There are other things that can cause sensitive teeth. My dentist said the wrong way of brushing your teeth can cause it too. When the dentist checked me out, a little touch of her tool cause me pain. It located at the canine right lower teeth. The gum was lower than the other. She asked whether I used sensitive toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and I confirmed it. She said the only thing that can help me was to give white filling (bonding) to cover exposed root surface. She said this procedure usually works for sensitive teeth. I let her do it.

It was pretty painful and awkward after the filling. I feel a bit pain as I ate for several days. Now, I get used to the filling and no longer feel pain. Even though the big problem already solved, I still have another sensitive teeth at the upper level. That night, the dentist tried to find which one, yet still unable to discover it. The pain for sensitivity become less now. But I really need to find out the upper level sensitive teeth.

The dentist also recommended me to use dental floss instead of toothpick. She said toothpick can also be the cause to sensitive teeth. Well, I never use dental floss. She suggested to use the one with handle. I already bought it but until now I still don't know how to use it, haha. Me and my sensitive teeth!

Dental floss with handle


Knowledge source:
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/tooth-sensitivity

Picture source:
http://biology-igcse.weebly.com/human-teeth-and-dental-decay.html
http://www.dentistdentalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/flossing-brush.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment