March 13, 2013

Journey: Jepara - Jogjakarta

This March we had a long holiday and some friends arranged a trip to Karimun Jawa. Karimun Jawa is an island above Central Java Island. A beautiful island that has beautiful beaches and small islands. A perfect place for a getaway, dive & snorkel.

Karimun Jawa Beach

We rented a bus to go to Jepara. When we reached Jepara, the weather was very bad, the wave was very high. The officer at the port said no ship will depart until the next 2 days. Oh, wtf! I really wanted to go.
After a discussion we reroute our trip to Jogjakarta. Jogjakarta is known as a educational city. It has many interesting places to be visit, such as Prambanan Temple, Borobudur Temple, Parangtritis Beach, the Palace of Jogjakarta, Malioboro Street, etc. I always love this city, especially the Javanese Culture here.

We arrived pretty late and stayed at Citihub Hotel - quiet far from the city center. It's a budget hotel, the room was small and nice. We went to Malioboro to have our dinner. Malioboro always crowded by visitor. A long the street of Malioboro, we can buy many souvenir such as batik dress and handy craft (batik bag, slipper, accessories).

Malioboro Street

The next day, some of my friends went for cave & river tubing while I accompanied a friend who got sick. We went out when she felt better. We went to buy a special snack from Jogjakarta called Bakpia. Then we went to Malioboro again. We had our lunch at Pempek Ny. Kamto. It's a fish cake with special sauce. I like this one very much, never missed to eat it when I am at Jogjakarta. After it we went for a walk.


Bakpia

In the afternoon we went to a mass at Kota Baru Church (St. Antonius Church). Always wanted to go to this church because I am curious about the liturgy at this Church. It has its own book of liturgy. A new experience of mass when most of the ordinarium songs are eliminated.

The altar of Kota Baru Church

We decided to have our dinner at Tojoyo after the mass. It serves fried chicken in Jogjakarta style. Very delicious, I will recommend everyone to try it. Went back to the hotel, my friends asked to join them for a night culinary  First stop was Gudeg Mercon. Gudeg is a special dishes of Jogjakarta made with a young jackfruit and many local ingredients. Sweet and yummy! But this one has a spicy taste. I didn't eat but my friends said it's a good one. Second stop, Malioboro again. Another street hawker food but this one was better than the first night. More tasty and very crowded.

That was the end of our nights in Jogjakarta. In the morning we checked out from hotel, we went for another gudeg for breakfast. This time we ate non spicy gudeg, hihi. Then we went to an Aerospace Museum  We saw many historical planes there.

Gudeg

We went home, it took 8 hours of drive to reach our city. A short and sweet getaway that fulfill my need for vacation and it's free, hihi. I always wanted to go back to Jogjakarta but never plan to go there this year.
Again, God surprises me. I decided to join the trip but when I found out about the cost, I cancelled it. A friend generously willing to pay for my trip, so thank you so much for allowing me to join this trip.When I forgot about my dream, God always grants it in a unique way. Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, my contributor.

Picture source: various website








No comments:

Post a Comment