June 11, 2013

Journey: China Trip 19-24 May 2013

YAY! I finally went to China. Well, I never thought I would travel to a country that require a VISA. I do have a wish that one day I will go to Hongkong, I have my own reason why I want to go there. This journey was like a dream comes true. I can't believe it.

GH
A friend of mine has an illness and she believes in alternative healing. I can't tell what her illness is, but I can say it needs a serious attention. She has it for some years, she has tried everything to find the cure. One of her bestfriend told her that there are a professor in Chinese Medicine who is clever. He can heal almost every disease. This professor is in Fuzhou, China.

She made up her mind to go to China. She prepared everything such as tickets, hotel, translators, etc. One more thing she needs: a friend to accompany her. So, she asks me whether I want to go there with her and I said "YES". I agreed to accompany her because I want to repay her kindness. She was there with me day and night when I had my surgery last year.She bought my tickets and got me the VISA. Her parents paid everything for me.

We almost didn't go because we haven't got the appointment with the professor. The departure was confirmed only 5 days away without the doctor appointment. So, this is our journey.

May 19, 2013: Incident @ HONGKONG
The airport, Chek Lap Kok is a big international airport. After we arrived in Hongkong, we have to wait for 2.5 hours connecting flight to Xiamen, China. She decided to stay in Xiamen because she can't find any translator in Fuzhou.

Due our next flight gate is far away, we have to grab our lunch and eat it on the waiting hall. We chose sandwich. I chose the promotion stuff: a sandwich and free Americano coffee. Well, the incident started with the coffee. We rushed into our gate and I didn't pay attention to the coffee. The cover of the cup flipped away and I squeezed the cup due the shock. Yeah, the boiled water was all over my right hand. It was so hot, my palm turned into red, it hurt so much.

After I cleaned the floor, we run to our train to the gate of the plane. When we reached there we find a restroom and put my hand on the water to ease the burning sensation. It took sometimes to calm the burning sensation but the skin became sensitive.

May 20,2013: Xiamen, China
Our first day in Xiamen was a free day. Xiamen in my eyes is a clean city. My friend and mr. Google also said Xiamen is the cleanest city in China. I agree with it. After a morning rain, the weather became hot. My friend wants to go to her previous university. Ah, she studied Chinese Language 8 years ago in Xiamen University.

The line to entry the university was a long queue. In such hot weather we decided not to enter the university. Instead we find meal around it. My first taste of Xiamen's food was: TASTELESS. I had fish ball soup with rice for lunch. I just swallowed it so I won't get hungry. Regarding the taste... Don't ask :-)

My favorite drink at Xiamen, China

After that we go to Zhongshan Road for shopping. This road is very famous in Xiamen, along the street we can find local products; clothes, belt, bag, etc. We didn't intended to buy anything but a local phone number so we can make a phone call to Fuzhou. Our translator tried so many times but no one answer the phone at the hospital.

In the evening, we just went to nearest shopping mall to buy fruits and cup noodle for breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, the hotel breakfast was bad. I can't swallowed what I ate cause everything was so plain, no taste. Cup noodle was our breakfast for the rest of our stay in Xiamen. Our hotel was located near the train station and around 2 big shopping mall. We chose it because of the train station to go to Fuzhou.

May 21, 2013: Fuzhou
From Xiamen to Fuzhou we took a bullet train. Regular train from Xiamen to Fuzhou would take 12 hours but with bullet train it only took 2.5 hours. The train departed at 6:50 as scheduled. I really enjoyed the journey. The view from small cities during this trip is lovely. The train was good and clean. The city is clean and not too crowded. Well, I didn't go anywhere but the  hospital, so I can't really make a judgement regarding the city.

Bullet Train Ticket from Fuzhou to Xiamen

We arrived at Fuzhou at 9:30. We took a cab to the hospital. The cab driver said the people are lining up to see the professor from 4 AM. Wow! And we were there at 9:30 AM?? Let's try!

The line was long indeed. We were afraid that we can get the appointment. We already have a back-up plan, if we can't see him in the morning shift, we will try the night shift. After a little conversation with the receptionist, our translator said that the professor isn't suitable for my friend illness and the receptionist suggested another doctor. We followed her suggestion.

We were waiting for an hour. The doctor's room wasn't a private room. So many people inside and no privacy at all. When our translator started to speak about the illness suddenly everyone gather around the table. I felt so sad because I know she doesn't want anyone to know about it. I didn't sit near them but I can hear what our translator said. Oh... what to do... My friend didn't look shock at all. I can see through her eyes, she was sad.

We went back to Xiamen. She sat silently next to me. I asked why she didn't sleep, she said she can't, she has something in her mind... and I know what it is. I understand it's a hard decision to take, I've been in that stage before so I know exactly how she feels. We remain in silent til we reached Xiamen.

May 22, 2013: Xiamen
This was suppose to be our free day to have city tour. Our new translator has a car and she can drive us every where we want to go. With yesterday result, my friend really pushed her self to look OK. She asked the translator to bring us to lake and park. They said you haven't been in China if you haven't visit its lake and park.

Bailuzhou Park
This park is our first stop. It's big, divided by a road. Beautiful park with a lake. They said at night there will be a water show, since we went there in the morning, we didn't have a chance to see it. Rain was fall in the morning, so the park was wet. Here are some pictures from the park:



Gulf Park
The second park we visited is Gulf Park. I think this park is more beautiful than the previous one. I enjoy the landscape very much. The connection between the park and the sea give an extra point to its beauty. We stayed for a long time at this park just to kill our time. Wish to be able to visit it again someday. 

Gulf Park - Xiamen, China

May 23, 2013: Xiamen - Hongkong
Finally we went home... That's what we thought. Our flight from Xiamen to Hongkong suppose to leave at 12:00. It was an hour flight.The flight got delayed for 2.5 hours. The Hongkong Air Traffic didn't allow us to fly at our height level of fly. I don't know why but it doesn't make sense to me. We are in the plane for 2.5 hours and can't do anything about it. Our connecting flight was at 15:00.

I knew it was risky to take only 2 hours difference from the next flight. But I wasn't the one who bought the tickets, so I can't complain. My fears came true, our next flight to my home town already departed. We missed it. We got angry to the ground crew of the airline, we insisted to be flown today. They tried to help us by finding another flight but no seat available for us. 

They took the responsibility, they gave us a hotel and meal voucher. My friend was very angry, she blames me for it. She said it was my mistake who wish to stay in Hongkong for a night. Oh... it was a wishful thinking, I never thought I would come true. I can't blame her, cause I know her emotional was down at the moment. 

Regal Airport Hotel, Hongkong

We stayed at Regal Airport Hotel for a night. The only problem was our luggage. The Cathay Pacific said it would be difficult to get our luggage. We have to wait for 2 hours or longer than that. We insisted that we don't have anymore clothes to wear even if we only stay for a night, we need to change. Well, we were very persistent, so they collected our luggage for us. While the other passengers just walk away without their luggage.  

We spent most of our time at the airport to get internet access to inform our family regarding the delay and delegate our job that we must do tomorrow to our coworker. Actually, this time I realized one thing. The airport never sleep... until late at night, people come and go, very crowded. The reason why I need to stay in Hongkong for a day is to learn about the airport. Hahaha... but there's another reason which I couldn't tell. If you know me, you will know the other reason clearly. Yet, I still haven't got my answer to that other reason. Well, I should just forget about it.

May 24, 2013: Hongkong - Hometown
Our flight was at 15:30. I asked my friend to go to Hongkong City but she refused. She said the city is far away from the airport, in fact the airport is on a different island. Oh, okay... I just stayed at the lobby to get internet access and started to ask the office situation.

Another incident on Hongkong Airport... LOL... I got 2 incidents in one visit... WOW! I was in the restroom  and had difficulty to locate my wet tissue on my backpack. So I took everything out, put it on the right and left side. But when I got out from the restroom I only put back what the stuff from the right side. I completely forgot about the left side. After several step, I thought why my backpack is very light. Ah, I remember it!!! I run to the restroom and.... IT'S GONE... I tried to locate the cleaning lady and she was gone also. When I stepped outside the restroom the voice call said: "Dear passenger please be careful of your belonging!" Yeah... right!

Finally I reached my hometown on 20:30. Glad to arrived safe and sound. That is my journey to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment